1. WHAT ARE SOME OF THE INSPIRATIONS FOR YOUR DESIGN THEMES? “Contrast” is inspired in part by the colorful works of Russian artist Vasily Kandinsky and Belarusia/French artist Marc Chagal. My signature use of orange reflects enthusiasm, warmth and happiness, while capturing energy and cheerfulness. As a Soviet emigrant, I also relate to the color’s representation of risk-taking, physical confidence, and vivacious competition and independence.
While creating my collections, I also take inspiration from different world cultures, including my native Belarusian culture. Some of my designs draw on a host of influences and inspirations from the colors and styles of Belarusian folk dresses. That global inspiration is also reflected in the details and craftsmanship of my designs. In my first collection “Contrast” I utilized felted flowers by Belarusian artists, linen produced in Belarus and national traditional trims. This collaboration with artists and designers from Belarus is a partnership I look forward to maintaining in future designs and collections.
2. WHAT IS THE PROFILE FOR THE TATIANA SHABELNIK WOMAN? DESCRIBE YOUR CLIENTELE? Sophisticated, classy and at the same time sexy women who are not afraid to make a statement and express themselves. Art is life for me and I would love to see women wearing art pieces instead of mass produced clothing. My ambition is to design very comfortable, yet very stylish clothing. I believe that adding a little touch of “drama” is essential too. I want my clothing to WOW a runway audience but at the same time I want that audience to know that this clothing is designed for them.
3. YOUR SELECTION OF PATTERN, MATERIAL AND STRUCTURE IS VERY BOLD…IN WHAT CATEGORY WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR RANGE. Bold bright colors and shapes as well as color-blocking elements derive from my longtime love for the works of Russian artist Wassily Kandinsky and Belarusian/French artist Marc Chagall. I would place it into category of wearable avant-garde.
4. PLEASE SPEAK ON CURRENT TRENDS IN FASHION. DO YOU CORRESPOND OR ARE YOU A BIT OF A REBEL? I follow trends, but I believe that designers are the ones who create them. Yes, I am a bit of a rebel. I designed my very first collection before I read about any trends. Later on I found that lots of elements of my design followed the trends described by fashion magazines and blogs. I call it intuition. Basically I create my style. Fashion goes through cycles. I remember my mom used to say: “Everything new is very well forgotten old.” Designers look to the influences to see what colors, textures and silhouettes are their favorite. The more fashion magazines pick up a certain style, the more likely it will become a trend.
5. YOUR MODELS ARE UNIQUE. HOW DO YOU SELECT THE IDEAL TATIANA SHABELNIK FACE? Ideal face for me is the one that represents different cultures, races and first of all, real people. That is why I select models who are not just size zero.
6. GIVE US A GLIMPSE INTO THE FUTURE OF THE TATIANA SHABELNIK COLLECTION? My very first collection was inspired by my tremendous passion for travel and learning about other cultures. I plan on continuing my journey around the globe and expressing my vision of cultures through fashion.